RE: Operating proceedures for "The Dish"

>From: Tony Langdon <tlangdon@atctraining.com.au>
>Hehe, now that's the sort of antenna I want to drive! :-)
>
>Might be a bit overkill for AO-40 though. :-)
>
>Anyway, very interesting.  Pity I didn't know about this beforehand.  Got a
>4 day weekend, and it would have been nice to make the 8 or 9 hour trip up
>to have a look at the facility (the Parkes telescope is one of the things I
>have always wanted to see since I was a kid).
>
>Tony Langdon
>Systems Development and Support
>ATC Training Australasia.  Level 1 310 King St Melbourne 3000.

Tony and Murray,

If I ever get over there it's on my list.  On my trip this fall to MW
Update, I revisited my old stomping grounds (work place) in the Mojave
desert.  Goldstone has changed quite a bit from those days.  I was the
first visitor since the terrorist attack, so I felt fortunate to get the
tour...I had the visitor guide all to myself.  It was especially nice in
that she had worked there since 1978 (I left JPL in 1979).  She had been
one of the operators in the program that I helped start in 1974.  They now
have lots of big dishes.  The 64m has grown to 70m.  It was quite
nostalgic.  In some ways I felt like the old station director in the movie
"the Dish".

Ed