Re: Unable to hear PCSat

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Timothy S. Zibrat wrote:

> I've had my two meter radio and tnc on for the past 3 days and I haven't
> heard a peep from PCSat.... I know my setup works, I tune to 144.39 and
> I can hear/see a lot of terrestrial APRS packets.  But I haven't heard PCSat
> yet.

It may be your feedline.  The big difference between "hearing"
terrestrial packets and ones from space is that you cannot have more than
a few dB  loss in your antenna system and coax.   The terrestrial signals
can be 100,1000 or even 10,000 times stronger that the weak signal from
the satellite.

In that sense, tuning to an AX.25 downlink like ISS or PCsat is a good
"sensitivity" test of your packet station.  If after 12 hours of
monitoring on either the PCsat or ISS downlinnk you never capture
anything, then it might be an indicator that something is causing excess
loss in your feedline maybe... (or the ISS is not on the air.).

But PCsat even if it goes into SAFE mode will still originate at least a
few packets per minute...

Hope that helps..
Bob