AOS Confusion

Hello All

I'm curious if anyone could explain to me how to tell when AO-40 is usable
during a certain pass. Sometimes when my tracking software shows the bird in
view I point the dish and immediately  hear the beacon at 2401.323  + or -.
And then during other passes..... nothing..  What gives??  I am ( as you may
have surmised) a beginner at this, and any help would be greatly
appreciated!!

Thanks Alot in advance

Kent Landis
N8ZRD