Re: Drake on 122 Mhz

I'd recommend getting a higher gain preamp, like a Kuhne or if you use a DEM
to add another stage of gain (MMIC) to it if you are using a
Drake as the downconverter.  I use an old DEM (LUA design self-biased) and
it made a noticable difference to get the gain up to about 30 dB in front of
the Drake as compared to the 12 dB I got out of the original preamp.

But yes, the Drake with a good preamp in front of it works well.  I still
have mine on 122 MHz as well.  The FT-847 won't transmit into it at 122 MHz.

Fred W0FMS