RE: PSK31 & SSTV AO-40

Hello John

> Is there a technical reason to operate only above the beacon?

I don't think there's any technical reason.

I'd guess it's because the transponder passband is so wide and sparsely
utilized at present that most of us stay high. Come to think of it I don't
think I've ever had a QSO with anyone below the beacon.

The standard was (and I'm assuming still is) that the bottom 1/3 is CW,
middle 1/3 mixed and top 1/3 SSB.

73 Howard G6LVB