Re: EME Sband?

 > What freq are microwave ovens actually on?
 > I assume the mass produced magnitrons do not have tuning controls, but a
 > little hammer adjustment might re-tune them?

Don't know, but you would want to be sure the flanges on the waveguides
didn't leak, and magnetrons can bite you with more than RF -- they take
several kV to drive because they're not particularly efficient
oscillators.  They're also rather unstable by CW standards, and have a
nasty tendency to jump into higher modes if you don't have the voltage
just right.  They'll pulse pretty nicely if the drive signal is shaped
right, but I think they chirp a bit.

 > Anticipitory disclamer:  Yes, I know messin with 1000W Sband is
 > dangerous.
 > And yes, purity of signal is atrocious... (before mods...)...

You definitely do *not* want to get any part of your body, much less
your head or eyes, near the feed or between it and the dish with a
magnetron driving the feed!  ;-)  Probably want to stay quite some
distance away, and use a feed that underilluminates the dish so not too
much RF spills over the edges and radiates back ..
                    Bruce Bostwick N5VB