Re: A question about a MMIC preamp

For simplicity and ease of use, a MAR-6 is a great device as a preamp.  Fred
Spinner is right on his comments on ambient noise, etc.  So for most
purposes, while the noise figure is higher than what you'd really like it to
be, it is sufficient for the average setup.

Frankly, I think it would be fine for satellite use.  With a good antenna,
satellite signals aren't all that weak, although any additional gain is a
good thing.

Just put your preamp up near your antennas.  You don't want it in your
shack.  You'll also need to design some switching circuitry as well to
switch it in and out of line for transmit unless you are using it in an RX
only environment.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 10/17/01 7:41 PM, Phil at phil@spiderweb.com.au wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> In an effort to improve the reception of FO-20 and 29 I want to build a
> preamp.
>
> A preamp based on a Mini-Circuit's MMIC MAR-6 looks very appealing because of
> the circuit's simplicity and minimal cost.
>
> My question is; are these devices suitable for weak satelite signal use or
> are they best relegated to commercial TV mast-head amplifiers? The gain is
> good, however, I'm wondering if the 3db noise figure might be a problem.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na