Re: Primestar Dish Characterized?

Bill Acito wrote:

> I have seen references to DSS dishes (e.g. Paul Wade), but none for the
> larger Primestar dishes.
>
> Has anyone characterized one for f/D, proper illumination, optimal turns for
> a helix feed? Do you optimize beamwidth on the long or short dimension of
> the dish?

What I did is build a 6 turn helix and put the antenna with the helix as a feed
on an antenna range and start cutting the helix until I got maximum signal.
Turned out to be 2 3/4 turns in my case.  I actually trimmed the helix down to
only 1/4 turn (just to see what happened) and then rewound it to the optimum
length.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org