RE: JOTA - This Weekend!

> Folks:
>
>     Don't forget about Jamboree On the Air (JOTA), which
> takes place this
> weekend.  Everyone should be involved in this great activity!

FYI...

JOTA is big news down here in VK.  There are a number of amateur stations
setting up for the weekend at Scout camps and halls  all over the place.
Several groups are planning modes such as SSTV and PSK31, in addition to the
usual voice.  Also, there is a concerted effort to get many Scout stations
onto IRLP (Internet Radio Linking Project), and several IRLP nodes and
attached repeaters are being turned over to Scout use this weekend.  In
Melbourne, we are particularly well off, as the Scouts have two repeaters
which are now linked up for the event, and I have a "spare" IRLP node, which
is linking them to the rest of the world.  I'll be sitting at home playing
"switchboard operator" most of the weekend, and keeping a general eye on the
system. :-)  For VK, IRLP will bring back memories of 10 years ago, when key
repeaters were linked via a commercial satellite for a week leading up to
JOTA, but promises more international activity.  We're hoping this year's
VHF activity will eclipse those highs of a decade ago.

Needless to say, there will also be a lot of HF SSB activity from JOTA
stations.  Most JOTA stations should have good HF capabilities.  Let's hope
the bands are open.

I'm not aware of any satellite activity from VK for JOTA (AO-40 would be a
possibility if anyone's got a decent portable station), but there's always
the good old evening standby of doing a bit of satellite spotting after dark
as something of interest. :)

P.S.  If it wasn't for the fact I could offer more to JOTA by running IRLP,
I'd be in there with the kids.