Re: A question about a MMIC preamp

Many EME'ers would have some heed to my comments on this, and they
would be right with huge gain huge F/B ratio antennas, but--

For terrestrial work, particularily in urban areas, the 2.8 dBNF of
a MAR-6 is less than the ambient noise of most QTH's at 144 MHz.  For
satellite work with small low gain, low F/B antennas the terrestrial noise
pickup is still quite a bit.

So a MAR-6 amplifier would work fine in your amp.  Try to figure some
way to have a DC ground at the input as I have had static problems with
using it for a preamp before.

Alternatively, a cheap preamp kit would work too-- like Ramsey electronics
or Hamtronics-- most are around 1 dB or less NF, and are
in the US$20 range..

Fred W0FMS