Re: Clearspeach speakers

Edward R. Cole wrote:

> >From: Paul Williamson <kb5mu@AMSAT.Org>
> >Just for a dissenting voice ... I heard the same demo and was NOT
> >impressed. It has the same problem the other DSP noise-reduction filters
> >have. At first impression it definitely sounds like the speech is untouched
> >while the noise is suppressed, but after trying to copy the speech for a
> >while the resulting distortion becomes a problem. The speech is harder to
> >understand with the distortion than it was with the noise. The fatigue
> >factor is higher, too.
> >
> >So, I suggest that you listen to one yourself before purchasing. You may
> >find it a miracle, or you may find it worthless. Apparently it works better
> >for some people than for others.
>
> Interesting comments, Paul.
>
> As one with severe hearing imparement, I am interested in any methods that
> improve intelligibility.  I believe you have an FT-847, how do you rate the
> DSP NR and DIG. FIL modes.  I use the NR=10 on AO-40 combined with RF Gain
> reduction to lower passband noise fairly successfully.  However, the DIG
> FIL seems to add distortion that is counterproductive for my "tranducers"
> (ears).  Yet, I regularly use DIG FIL for terrestrial weak signal ssb, and
> the DSP cw FIL set to 100 Hz for eme.  Go figure.
>
> I wonder what your opinion of the FT-847 DSP modes are (assuming that is
> what you use).
>
> BTW enjoyed Symposium greatly...even the 1-1/2 hour wait in security going
> home thru the airport.  Got talk with a pretty lady from Bermuda all the
> time in line!
>
> Ed

Hi Ed

I have a ft847 and i have the audio always going to the soundcard of the
computer, then i can easily use the dsp filtering of the 847 and get
speakers ( or headphones by plugging into the headphone socket) at any
time... if you try using the ao40 rcv program you can immediately see
the effect of the filters on the waterfall shape and with judicious use
of the rf gain can always have the audio set to (here) about 1.5
divisions of noise. also if other soundcard programs (like winpsk) are
tried, the audio is always there.

73 Dave Crook ZL2MQ