Re: Help: can elev rotor be mounted upside down?

At 06:20 PM 10/15/2001 -0400, Ronald Long wrote:
>I have an unusual satellite antenna setup with a tower next to the house
>and a Hazer elevator. That in turn makes it necessary to mount the Yaesu
>elevation rotator on only one side of the vertical mast since the spacing
>between the vertical mast and the tower is only 5 inches. For some other
>reasons having to do with a long 40CX uplink antenna and keeping its
>rear-mounted cable from becoming tangled in the tower, I have determined
>that I must either use the 90 to 180 degree elevation scale for 90 to 0 or
>mount the rotator upside down in which case I can use the normal 0 to 90
>scale. The rotator has UP stenciled on the case but is there any reason
>why it can't be turned over? Maybe something to do with bearings or grease?
>
>Thanks, ron w8gus.

Hi Ron and everyone else

DO NOT mount the rotor upside down!!!!!  There is a drain hole in the
bottom where the 2 halves of the cases come together. This hole must stay
open to let any moisture out. You might want to check it with a small drill
bit by hand and make sure it is open while you are at it. This goes for
everyone else. If this hole clogs up then you will start to keep the
moisture in the rotor. The bearings don't have grease seals so this vent
must be open.

How's that for a answer!!

I also run my cables off the back of my antennas. You can bring the cables
back to your cross boom in the middle and then to your mast and they
shouldn't be in the way of the hazer. The way that I do it is to use LONG
ty-raps off from where the antennas mount in a big enough loop to reach the
middle of the boom between the rotor and antennas. Then I use another from
there around the cross boom and other ty-rap and coax. I leave this one
about a 6" loop. This allows the coax to move when the elevation rotor is
working... Make sure you use BLACK ty-raps as they are UV resistant. I have
gotten several years out of them here in Florida.

Now did all of this make sense???

73, Bill N4XEO

E- Mail mailto: n4xeo@amsat.org
home page: http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo