Re: (no subject)

Tony,
Great pictures... and so much work!  Thanks for sharing them.  I am sure they
will give many people the incentive to build up something.  I see from some
of your other pictures you have built lots of now-spare systems--I have a
garage full of those also :-)  The helix with ring-reflector is very nice
looking--those are especially nice for a compact portable system.  Mine
worked just fine for UO-11, but as we all now know, UO-11 is much easier to
hear than S2 SSB on AO-40.

You indicated the performance of the two systems was comparable.  The BIG
question everyone will sit on the edge of their seat to hear is... (drum
roll, please):  can you swap either the UEK or the TSI d/c from one antenna
to the other?  With that comparison you will get a narrower comparison of the
dish+feed options.  I never had a 3733+dipole feed up to compare to the
helix+cup feed.

A neat idea would be to take the stock TSI system supplied by K5GNA (dish +
3733), remove the dipole feed, and add an extension of some type to fit a
helix+cup right at the calculated focus.  The feed line would run up the
center of the helix--coaxially.  With a wire mesh screen on the dish, a
plug-and-play feed replacement like this would be a popular item, I am sure,
to gain 2.5 - 3 dB.
73,
Jerry, K5OE