CC&R Effort

From:           	"Allen R. Brier" <britech@compuserve.com>
To:             	<kk5do@amsat.org>
Subject:        	CC&R Effort
Date sent:      	Sun, 14 Oct 2001 09:12:15 -0500

BRUCE: COULD YOU PLEASE ADD THIS TO ANY AMSAT NEWSLETTERS
OR REFLECTORS?
THANKS AND 73, ALLEN N5XZ

The following was copied from the ARRL Newsletter:

==>ARRL MEMBERS' HELP NEEDED WITH CC&R EFFORT
ARRL is encouraging members to write their members of Congress in an effort to
build awareness in Congress that private land-use regulations have become a
real
problem for many Amateur Radio operators. ARRL Legislative and Public Affairs
Manager Steve Mansfield, N1MZA, says support from the amateur community will
help to backstop the League's efforts to meet with elected representatives and
staffers on Capitol Hill to discuss possible legislation. "In the meantime, we
continue to prowl the halls of Congress in search of supporters!" Mansfield
said. As condominium complexes and planned communities proliferate,
covenants,
conditions and restrictions, or CC&Rs, have become a growing obstacle to
amateurs who want to erect antennas. At its July meeting, the ARRL Board of
Directors adopted a goal of legislative action to help overcome the restrictions
that CC&Rs impose on Amateur Radio antennas. Amateurs who are affected by
CC&Rs-or who know someone in their Congressional district who is-are invited to
adapt the ARRL's sample letter to their own situations and consider sending it
to their Congressional representative. A sample of the letter is on the ARRL Web
site <<http://www.arrl.org/govrelations/ccr-sample-letter.html>>. To find a
Senator's mailing address, visit the US Senate Web site
<<http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm>>. To find a Representative's
mailing address, visit the US House of Representatives Web site,
<<http://www.house.gov/writerep/>>. Those writing are requested to share their
correspondence with Steve Mansfield, N1MZA, Legislative and Public Affairs
Manager, ARRL, 225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111; n1mza@arrl.org.

C'mon guys and gals, we need your help. (Even y'all who have problems with
the ARRL.) This doesn't affect all hams directly, but it sure does affect a lot
of us! I think it does affect all hams indirectly by making it so much harder to
erect outside antennas on their homes, which I feel is one of the main problems
contributing to the decline in the ham radio population. It may be a long shot
or a long time, but please start sending snail mail, email, telegrams, and phone
calls to your representatives! I think now is an excellent time to get their
attention, with the aftermath of the Sept. 11th bombing just behind us. I think
they might just have theirs ears tuned to anything that would be of help in case
of a disaster in their home district.

Please forward this to every ham you know, bring it up in club meetings,
include it with your QSL cards, etc. whatever it takes to get the word out
and the letters to Washington DC.

For those of you in Texas, here are our Senators:

THE HONORABLE PHIL GRAMM (R - TX)
370 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-2934
phil_gramm@gramm.senate.gov <mailto:phil_gramm@gramm.senate.gov>

THE HONORABLE KAY BAILY HUTCHINSON (R - TX)
284 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING
WASHINGTON DC 20510
(202) 224-5922
senator@hutchison.senate.gov <mailto:senator@hutchison.senate.gov>

Representatives can be found at the address above by your city, county or
zip code.

Thanks and good luck to all of us!

Allen R. Brier N5XZ N.I.C.E.T. SET Fire Alarm Systems

BriTech Systems Incorporated
2018 Old Dixie Drive
Richmond, Texas USA 77469-6811
281-342-1590
281-342-0940 (fax)
713-705-4801 (Cell Phone/Voice Mail/Pager)
BriTech@csi.com

Bruce Paige, KK5DO                                      Internet: kk5do@arrl.net
Houston, Texas                                                         kk5do@amsat.org
AMSAT Awards Manager                                kk5do@amsatnet.com
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CST on W0KIE GE-7, T5,
7.5Mhz