RE: I need some advice for setting up a G5400B

Hi Allen:  My recollection is that the voltage adjustment is not critical
and probably not necessary with the 5400 out-of-the-box.  However, I am
going from memory. I suggest you get a more definitive answer from others.

  I do have a suggestion on aligning things.  I think you want the antenna
pointing at the horizon with elevation = 000 degrees.  090 degrees is
straight up, and if you have a tracking/rotor driving program that permits
“flip” operation, at 180 degrees you are pointing opposite to where the
azimuth readout says you are, with the antennas “upside down”.  This is
especially useful if you are tracking a bird that passes through 180
degrees.  Instead of a nearly complete 360 degree rotation (while you lose
signals from the bird) for example 185 degrees all the way around clockwise
to 175 degrees, the tracking program should enable you to point north, with
the antennas flipped.  The rotor then only has to move from 005 degrees
counterclockwise through 000 to 355 degrees, only 10 degrees of movement and
the inverted array will be swinging from 185 to 175.  You will maintain
contact with the bird through that process.

As for aligning the azimuth, I have found the easiest and by far most
accurate way is to pick a time of day when either the sun or the moon is
visible and fairly low in the sky.  Your tracking program will tell you the
azimuth/elevation of the sun or moon.  Set the 5400B to that azimuth and
elevation (unflipped!) and align the array so it is pointing at the sun or
moon at that time.  If the sun, be careful not to look directly at it for
more than an instant!  If moon, be careful not to fall off the roof in the
dark :>} You may have to fine tune things a few times, because while you are
tinkering around, the sun/moon will be moving in the sky.  You also want to
make sure your PC clock is set accurately.

Hope this helps.  73 de Brian W3BW