RE: Yaesu VR5000 Receiver

Jon said

> anyone has had any experience with the VR5000
> I'm interested in any comparison's anyone might be able to draw
> between it and the receiver's on the FT847 or FT817.

No comparison I'm afraid. I've only ever used my VR-5000 at VHF and above.

What I found about the VR-5000:

o appalling dynamic range
o very deaf at 2.4GHz
o SSB filters are as wide as a barn door
o computer interface very badly lacking
o very difficult to operate without the manual

Yaesu UK have now said openly that it's primarily designed to be primarily
an HF radio with VHF and above added on. So why do half the pictures have
2599.999MHz on the display??

One of those cases where the bells and whistles took priority over raw radio
performance.

73 Howard G6LVB