Re: Starshine, PCsat etc

I feel I am compelled to disagree. I don't think free experimentation is
being eliminated, it is being limited by the design constraints of the
system. If somebody wanted to experiment on the satellite within the design
limitations of the satellite, I doubt the satellite operator will object.
Considering the application specific design of the satellite, it would be
appropriate, an in line with good engineering practice, to consult with the
satellite operator before engaging in such experiments.

The agreement, as I read it, does not restrict anyone from using the
satellite. It simply states the mission and guidelines for operation. This
is nothing more than a condensed operators manual that also asks you to
promise to follow the recommended guidelines. If we had something similar to
this for UO-14 and AO-27, maybe these satellites would be more enjoyable for
all.

It was not that long ago on this reflector that everybody was whining about
how we can't afford to put up any more "kitchen sink" satellites. Here is a
case of a small, low cost, application specific satellite designed to do one
thing and do it well. Now we hear complaining because it comes with
limitations. Instead of complaining, I think we should be thanking all the
hard working people that spent so much of their time giving us another
orbiting asset we can all use, for free.

Howie
AB2S