AO-40 K Band/W5LUA Followup

Howdy,

I did some additional investigation into Al's successful AO-40 K band
reception.

At 0715. AO-40 was 64,000 km from Al's QTH. The squint was 4.8 degrees. The
squint reduced to 3.0 degrees at 0752 and the range increased slightly to
64,800 km.

The fades Al experienced I'm sure are due to the fact AO-40 is spinning and
that the K band antenna onboard is linear.

This is really good info for those of us looking to build up K band receive.
With everything I've seen, my ultimate design goal is a 2 foot dish and
system NF ~ 2dB. Pointing will be much more critical. I can see that I won't
be mounting this system up on my tower with the rest of my satellite gear. I
don't believe a G-5400 with cross booms will be stable enough. (for me
anyway.....)

I have most of the parts/pieces figured out at this point. My goal is to work
both terrestrial and satellite 24 GHz. It will necessitate the change of
several components to do this. I'm looking forward to the K Band Breakfast at
the Symposium this weekend!

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649