KH0/K7WD QRV for AO40 North America pass

Sunday at 0544 UTC I worked my first "new one" on AO40 thanks to Shun,
KH0/K7WD, who is on a DX-pedition in Saipan.  We had a nice CW chat.  He
said it was his first AO40 window to North America.  There should be one
more window for North American hams to contact Shun on AO40 before he
returns to Japan.  That's tonight starting at about 0530 UTC (02 October,
UTC-time). QSL via his home call, JH7IMX, NOT to his K7WD address.

You can see a picture of Shun's vacation cabin in Saipan (complete with
HF/6m yagis on a tower) on www.qrz.com if you search for K7WD.  The picture
was taken on a previous visit in December 2000, so it doesn't show the
satellite antennas.  You can see a picture of his tripod-mounted satellite
antennas on his home web page at http://www.mni.ne.jp/~wakiyama/home/
<http://www.mni.ne.jp/~wakiyama/home/>  (click the "offset dish" link).  The
U-band uplink antenna is 5 elements, linear polarized.  The downlink antenna
appears to be an 18-inch offset-fed solid dish with a 4-turn helix feed.
The antennas are modest but look like they would travel well.

I think we need more satellite DX operations to stimulate activity on AO40.
If you or somebody you know is going on a DX-pedition, please encourage and
help them to get on AO40.  And please announce the plans to AMSAT-BB.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA