Re: Millicon MC-251

On Thursday 27 September 2001 12:28, Gerald Payton wrote:
> As most of you know, the MC-251is basically a Drake 2880
> "professionally converted."  Advertised as such, I must admit that I
> took it as such - "professionally modified."
>
> Has anyone actually checked one to see to what degree it was
> modified?  Have all the 2880 modifications been incorporated?

That's a question I've asked myself in the past.

But your note happened to catch me with an MC-251R, an unmodified
Drake, and a power screwdriver on my desk...:-) I have a Norsat 2500
out on my 16-turn helix at the moment, which I bought when I heard your
report of how great your expereince was with it.

In the Millicom, the stock crystal has been replaced with one marked
8.8125 MHz; it's attached to different holes in the PC board and is
laying over on its side, since its a much taller package than the stock
crystal. The two red and one green coils in the IF amp have been
removed. No other modifications are apparent. The bandpass filter is
apparently untouched. The LNA is stock. Presumambly any of the
remaining G0MRF mods could be applied for a perfomance improvement.

> It is OBVIOUS that the MC-251 has a very high noise figure.  I am now
> experimenting with the Norsat 2500, which is much better regarding
> the n/f.

My new Norsat 2500 is indeed a noticably better performer that the
Millicom, but I'm not sure I'd say it's *much* better. I'll have
something more definitive to say when I finish building my stressed
parabolic dish.

 73 de Maggie K3XS