Re: "N" Connector Question

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 11:01:51AM -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Keith O'Brien wrote:
>
> > A thought occurred to me that you didn't safety wire your PCSat connectors..
> > Shame shame if that's the case.....
>
> Thanks,
> Didn't use "N" connectors on the satellite.  Used SMA. and liberal doses
> of Kapton tape.  The space equivalent of duct tape.

I suppose many of the satellites today can handle the weight of N
connectors, but in the early 1960s, we couldn't afford the weight
penalty.  On Syncom I, we used TM (miniature TNC) connectors with
aluminum bodies (brass was too heavy) and hoped we could make and break
the connection a few times before the threads galled.

When Bendix came out with what was later called the SMA connector, it
was a real godsend.  I recall that we staked our connectors with
glyptol.

Bob, N7XY