Re[2]: "spontaneous" LEILA activation

Hello Jim,

Tuesday, September 25, 2001, 1:01:03 AM, you wrote:

JW> Wayne Estes wrote:

>> I frequently hear unexplainable LEILA sirens in the vicinity of 2401.400 MHz
>> where there is hardly ever any transponder activity.  Once this weekend I
>> was tuning across the transponder and heard the LEILA siren go nonstop for
>> more than 90 seconds.  I don't know how long the siren was going before I
>> stumbled onto it.  When I hear "spontaneous" LEILA sirens I verify that my
>> uplink signal is notched, just to ensure that nobody is uplinking a
>> recording of the LEILA siren.

JW> Beats me.   I have heard that many times (and not just recently).  A few minutes ago I was
JW> calling CQ intermittantly, and just before I made a call, LEILA lit off and ran for 21 seconds
JW> (according to my clock), and there had been nothing there before she started.
JW> As to long runs of LIELA, I have seen that too.  I don't have a problem with LEILA jumping on
JW> me, and I stop transmitting right away, but frequently notice that LEILA will continue for as
JW> much as 45 seconds.  I have also verified that it's really LEILA by verifying the notch.

JW> 73
JW> -----------------------
JW> Jim Walls - K6CCC
JW> k6ccc@amsat.org
JW> http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
JW> 626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
JW> AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395

Hi Jim and the group,
same happened to me at times when the westcoast was not in range of
AO-40. It quite often happenes that my signal was notched by approx.
15 dB when I am running moderate uplink power and LEILA is not on my
signal. However, I chave not checked so quickly if LEILA is anywhere
else on the transponder present. Rather often I could hear LEILA above
2401.400 on frequencies which were not noticably occupied by any
hamradio stations.

> I frequently hear unexplainable LEILA sirens in the vicinity of 2401.400 MHz
> where there is hardly ever any transponder activity.

73
Reinhard, DJ1KM