September 2001 President's Letter

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-267.01
SEPTEMBER 2001 PRESIDENT'S LETTER

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 267.01 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, SEPTEMBER 24, 2001
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-267.01

The Presidents Letter for September 2001 is a little late, due to the
terrible things that happened in New York and Washington. However,
I am pleased to report that Amateur Radio has once again come to the
assistance of those who are involved in the search and rescue efforts,
and I feel sure that as a result of the continuing need to develop and
maintain emergency plans in towns and cities around the world - our
services will continue to be in demand.

I am also proud to report to you that since the infamous acts of
September 11th, the number of registrants for the AMSAT-NA
Symposium and Annual meeting in Atlanta has grown by quite a
large number, with many participants coming from overseas in
addition to North America. This certainly is in the spirit of "return to
normality".

More tests are being carried out on AO-40, and of particular note is the
testing of the GPS systems, which were provided by NASA. These tests
are currently proceeding using the RUDAK system and I hope they turn
out to be successful.

Design parameters are continuing for Project "JJ" and project committee
members hope to have their preliminary design review around the end of
this year. Meanwhile, the Business Development Committee has plans in
place to involve members in the important business of fund raising for our
new project - will you help? In the next few weeks expect to receive a
letter from me outlining the needs of the project and ways that our
membership can help.

Meanwhile, I look forward to seeing many of you at our Symposium and
annual Meeting in Atlanta.!

73,

Robin Haighton. VE3FRH
President AMSAT-NA