Re: Traveling to Atlanta AMSAT Symposium

>> From: "laura halliday" <marsgal42@hotmail.com>
>> The "heightened security" is approximately the level
>> of security that is customary at airports in most
>> countries. The U.S. has always had notoriously
>> lax airport security.
>>
>> The first time I ever saw flak jackets and submachine
>> guns in real life was at an airport (London Gatwick).
>> I suppose I've lead a sheltered life...
>>
>> Laura Halliday VE7LDH
>
> Yep.  Been reading the discussion, and wonder if any of you have
> considered
> the reaction you will get to "ham gear"!  Oh, probably none to a 2m
> "handie" since they will think it a cellphone...anything else???

I'm still interested in any reports of unusual treatment of ham
equipment at security checkpoints.  Security officers tend to be
suspicious of anything they don't understand -- I have once or twice
been asked to turn on my radio so they can see stuff come on the
display, basically so they know it hasn't been gutted and packed with
C4 -- and in the current climate, I'm even more curious.  Same goes for
the US Customs checkpoints on IH-10 in NM and AZ -- planning on a road
trip to Tucson in February and would like to know if I'm likely to have
my radios confiscated ..

> I'm not even going to try taking it with me.  I will ship it via FedEx
> my hotel in San Jose, and ship it back home from LA the same way.  That
> will cost me around $70-100.  Atleast I can get insurance from FedEx.
> Flying is caveat emptor ;-)

Understandable, and probably wise.  I'm not looking forward to having to
check baggage, period -- never had to do it before, and I'm not real
confident in the airlines' ability to deliver me and my luggage to the
same airport if I don't have it in carry-on.  (Anyone managed to take an
HT in their carry-on bag?  Just curious..)  If I can't do carry-on, I
may well try shipping my valuables.