Re: Traveling to Atlanta AMSAT Symposium

>From: "laura halliday" <marsgal42@hotmail.com>
>The "heightened security" is approximately the level
>of security that is customary at airports in most
>countries. The U.S. has always had notoriously
>lax airport security.
>
>The first time I ever saw flak jackets and submachine
>guns in real life was at an airport (London Gatwick).
>I suppose I've lead a sheltered life...
>
>Laura Halliday VE7LDH

Yep.  Been reading the discussion, and wonder if any of you have considered
the reaction you will get to "ham gear"!  Oh, probably none to a 2m
"handie" since they will think it a cellphone...anything else???

I am attending MW Update the week before Amsat Symposium and have planned
to take my 10 GHz portable unit that is all nicely packed into Pelican case
that can be carried-on.  I have taken it twice this year and a couple times
was subject to inspection and swiping routines by security.  Guess it looks
suspicious.  BTW, for those that do not know, a Pelican case is a rigid
black plasic case often used by photographers for their equipment.  The US
NAVY and Marines use them for their equipment since they are waterproof to
300-feet.

I'm not even going to try taking it with me.  I will ship it via FedEx to
my hotel in San Jose, and ship it back home from LA the same way.  That
will cost me around $70-100.  Please don't suggest checked luggage.  The
airlines will not reimburse you if they lose it!  That already happended to
me in July when they lost my luggage [both ways] and a new DEM xvtr I
bought at CSVHF in Dallas was stollen out of my bag while they "misplaced"
my bag in Anchorage for two days...they will not cover electronics!  At
least I can get insurance from FedEx.  Flying is caveat emptor ;-)

Because of this I will not bring any ham gear to Atlanta.  Just hope my
reservations aren't cancelled, too!  They are non-refundable and
non-changeable.

Ed