Re: Traveling to Atlanta AMSAT Symposium

Procedures at various airports are a little different.

After flying this past week, I noticed the following differences compared
to a normal day:

There was no curbside checking of baggage at any airport.

The ticket counter will inform you of items that cannot go through security.
In my case, a pair of nail clippers and a small screwdriver had to be placed
in my checked luggage. These items and any sharp items like knives and
razors must be placed in your checked luggage.

You cannot pass the security gate without a boarding pass. No visitors.

You must show your photo ID along with your boarding pass before they
will let you pass through the security checkpoint.

In one airport, I was asked to empty my pockets and put the contents in
my bag to pass through X-ray.  In another airport, they had us put the
contents in a tray and pass it through X-ray.

In one airport, I passed through the metal detector successfully, but they
used the wand and patted my ankles when the eyelets on my shoes
triggered the alarm on the wand.  In another airport, they did not use the
wand or perform the pat-down.

Often times I have seen security wipe my bag and put the pad in a
machine to analyze the collection, but I did not see this happen in the past
week unless they have a new device in the X-ray conveyor.

The number of passengers on domestic flights was visibly down from any
other week in the year. I found people were much friendlier and very alert
to their surroundings.

73's,

Tim - N8DEU
Huntsville, Alabama