Re: UHF Uplink

Al, you have what you need.
The satellites are generally RH circular, but linear (either vertical or
horizontal) will work fine.  The difference between horizontal and
vertical only matters if the antenna is quite close to the ground (say,
less than 3m).
If you're referring to AO-40 you really only need about 500W ERP
absolute maximum worst-case.  Usually much less than that (I've gotten
in with as little as 25W ERP).