Re: "Pipe tower" mounting for G5500 stack...

Chris.

I dont think that you want to try this.  Of course your milage may vary but
I imagine that there are two bad things that will happen here based on what
I have seen "others" do.

One next door neighbor was/is a TV DXER so he wanted to do almost in
windloading terms what you want to do.  HE found some drilling pipe coupled
it together to give him 45 feet of which 20 feet were over the roof (second
story house).  He bolted it at 2 foot intervals to his brick wall.  It did
ok for about a year and then the semi tropical storm came by and the pipe
came down and took substantial segments of his brick wall down with him
(there is nothing really supporting the brick...in his case it wasnt
structural.

Another ham did something similar but he used "telescoping" TV antenna mast
and guyed it after it got "high" except that of course he left enough on top
for his antennas (two meter meteor scatter).  we had some modest winds (my
weather station showed them at 20 gust to 32) and the whole thing set up
some pretty funky oscillations as the guy's sort of danced a pretty
interesting tune until it just sheared clean right on top of the guys.

The loads have to go somewhere or they fatigue...

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX