Re: "Pipe tower" mounting for G5500 stack...

Hi Chris,

Using a 35' pipe will require some careful guying to keep it from
buckling under load.  You are also going to have a challenge getting
it raised with all the weight on top; can't simply tilt it up, and
you aren't going to be able to climb it to install or service the
antennas later.  Also, brick is great for static, compression forces.
It isn't very strong if there is a force that tries to stretch or
twist it.  Brick chimneys don't work well as antenna supports for
this reason.

Instead of starting at the ground, I built a tripod that sits
on the roof.  2x4 lumber.  Made a "T" 8' wide at the top, and about
6' long.  The T lays on the roof topside down, with the tail of the
T lashed to a vent pipe.  At the middle I have a 6' antenna mast
from Radio Shack bolted to the wood, with bracing going down to the
T.  There are some pictures at http://pweb.jps.net/~gregd/hamsite.htm

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH