Re: What is a good tracking pgm?

Paul Williamson <kb5mu@AMSAT.Org> wrote:

>(snip...)
>It's also true that some programs have bugs in the implementation of the
>orbital model. I have heard reports that make me believe that WiSP is among
>those programs, unfortunately, but I haven't confirmed that.

When I was at school I never observed any prediction errors
with WiSP (playing with digital satellites, so it mattered),
as long as the keps were reasonably fresh. WiSP had a nasty
habit of locking up Windows 98 every day or two, but that's
another matter, nothing to do with how good its implementation
of SGP4 is.

>>Since they're also all available as free trials,
>
>This is most definitely NOT true, unless you count unauthorized bootleg
>downloads. InstantTrack and QuikTrak, for instance, have no demo versions.

I stand corrected. Thank you. Too much Linux hacking,
I suppose. :-)

Speaking of which, the original poster referred to
programs that wouldn't run on his OS. If people have
such concerns, it might be nice if they'd elaborate
a bit.

Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte