DEMI 13ULNACK kit problem-THANKS

I posted a month ago regarding my preamp kit which didn't work after
I built it.

Thanks to everyone who responded. As some folks mentioned, if the
voltages are correct, it should work (I even spoke with Steve at
DEMI, who walked me through the readings. He said "it should be
working".

I sent it to DEMI for repair. Their receptionist called me a few days
later with the charges...
$5 plus shipping.

When I got it back, I noticed there was new soldering around the main
transistor. My guess is that they replaced that device.

My best guess as to what killed it, is my use of an ungrounded-tip
iron which I used on that device (some of the ground pads are *huge*
heat sinks and in my excitement to get the kit finished, I grabbed a
high-heat iron to do the job).
The 25 year old iron did indeed have a few volts on the tip (of
course I checked this _after _ I did the soldering).

Bottom line here is, if you build one of these kits, take the usual
precautions and don't get in a hurry  8^)

--

Bill Howell
University of Texas at Austin