Fwd: re: Cross booms: Fiberglass vs. Acrylic Rod?

Forwarded from Dave, wb6llo@amsat.org, per his request:

At 01:49 AM 9/13/01 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm looking into getting a solid rod vs. the hollow 1.5 in x 5 ft KLM type
>that I have now for my cross boom.  One outfit called E-Com Plastics
>(www.ridoutplastics.com/acprofrodtub.html) has both extruded and cast acrylic
>rod available in lengths up to 6 ft.  The extruded rod is several dollars per
>ft less than the cast rod.
>
>My questions are:
>* would an acrylic rod be better or worse than fiberglass, and which should I
>consider, the extruded or cast rod?
>* what are other sources for the solid fiberglass rods besides Max-Gain
>Systems in GA?
>
>Because Max-Gain's solid fiberglass rods are only available in 8 ft lengths,
>UPS would charge the 30 lb. rate for shipping, which means I'm looking at a
>minimum of $89 for one 8ft x 1.5" rod.

Bob, we have a Ridout plastics in San Diego, and over 15 years ago I got a
10' piece from them, and it has been up continuously with no sag.

It has a 1/4" wall.  They had 1/8" and 1/4" wall thickness and I tested a 10'
piece in the store, and decided on the 1/4".

I'd sure go for a 10 footer with all the potential we have now for mounting
antennas.

I'm not sure of the diameter, but it is the max that fit in a 5400 rotor. It
may have been "gilding the lily" but I stuffed an 24" wood dowel at the
center, and an 18" one at both ends; the tube is pretty rugged and stiff.

I doubled the weight of a 40CX and a 22C, and hung the weight at both ends
while clamped in a vise at the center, the only antennas I needed at that
time. As I remember the "test sag" was less than 3/4".

I've had this information on here before, but others may be interested...

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....