Modify the DEM 144-28DC Transverter

Dear Friends:

I have a question about the transverter DEM 144-28DC. I use this unit to
convert the 144 (IF) output from my AO40 down converter MKU24 and feed my HF
radio on 28 Mhz, the DEM 144-28 Dc in the reception stage have an mmc
circuit MAR-6 used like preamplifier on 144 Mhz and I want to know if is
posible to improve the performance replacing this MAR-6 circuit for a
premplifier with 20db gain and 0.6 NF, at 144 Mhz the MAR-6 have more or
less same gain but 1.5 db NF. If I replace this preamp with less NF. the
response for the down converter is better??? How much better??

73 DX

Alex
HB9DRI