seeking advice on easy sats

Hello All,

I'm wondering if I might be expecting too much from AO 14 and FO 20 because
I don't seem to receiving either of them as well as some operators appear
to. My expectations are bases on RS 12 which is receivable from horizon to
horizon.

AO 14 is often only receivable for short bursts and periods of say 30 seconds
to a minute two or three time during each pass. Signal strength is usually
between S1 and S4 during those times. I'm only guessing that the reason might
be that the satellite may be tumbling slowly which means that the satellite's
antenna is pointing away from the earth for long periods of time. Is this
correct?

FO 20 is very weak and I'm not sure if the signal fades to the same extent as
AO 14 although it does seem more consistant. The difficulty with this one is
compounded because it receives little use although the whistles and hellos
does indicate that the satellite is still functioning.

My station is very modest and consists of an FT-817 and a hand-held home
built 6 element Yagi. I don't have a preamplifier and I can't be sure that
the antenna is performing to it's peak because I don't have access to a UHF
SWR meter. However the beam width is around 25 degrees which I expect is
normal and it certainly out performs a rubber duckie.

--
Regards,
Phil