Re: the Moon - Again. - How about geosync!

Hi group!

> Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 07:15:54 -0500
> From: Jon Ogden <na9d@speakeasy.net>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] the Moon - Again. - How about geosync!
>
> Let's put a third up and then we'll have entire earth coverage!
>
> Actually this would be an ideal situation and I'd love to see it happen.
> However, many, many, many people have pointed out the problems with cost,
> power, getting a parking spot above the earth (only so many at geo-synch),
> etc.  Right now it's just not feasible or practical.

This idea has been discussed some years ago in Surrey during the AMSAT-UK
colloquim. Most of the delegates voted against a geosync satellite. Because
there is no challange to work via a 'phone-satellite' like a terrestial
repeater. You can be shure, that a few will operate with the help of high
power equipment. The chance to operate via an amateur satellite which is
orbiting round the earth in a low orbit is more distributed .....
Do you know what I mean? I'm not a native english speaker/writer .... ;-))

de Wolf, oe7ftj

BTW: I think you don't need to own a seperate parking slot in the sky, there
may be commercial operator who will take an second payload aboard ...