Re: the Moon - Again. - How about geosync!

Let's put a third up and then we'll have entire earth coverage!

Actually this would be an ideal situation and I'd love to see it happen.
However, many, many, many people have pointed out the problems with cost,
power, getting a parking spot above the earth (only so many at geo-synch),
etc.  Right now it's just not feasible or practical.

But I LOVE the idea as a goal to shoot for some day.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 9/7/01 12:20 AM, Murray Peterson  VK2KGM at vk2kgm@ihug.com.au wrote:

> I like the idea if two sattelites are put up together, then put both in
> geosync about 150 degrees apart (by the timing of apogee kick  motors - 150
> degrees so the Earth does not block the link path) and link them.
>
> The two sattelites could then provide "fixed position" comunications for
> almost all the Earth.
>
> The transponders could use the same frequencies as the directions will
> be quite different in the overlap zone and everone else would only see one
> sattelite. There would be a zone of no coverage but that could be situated
> in the middle of the ocean with almost no land. (Atlantic Ocean? Pacific
> Ocean?)

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Member:  ARRL, AMSAT, DXCC, NRA