Re: Squint Angle and Winorbit Question

WinOrbit was written during AO-13 days.  The antennas on AO-40 are on the
opposite side of the satellite in the Z axis.

A good reference on what to do to get WinOrbit to display this properly is
the do in this case is in the FAQ for InstantTrack on the AMSAT site. (
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/intro/itfaq.html )

Text follows:
What about the Attitude of AO-40?

Current attitude parameters for AO-40 are available on the AO-40 telemetry
beacon and (usually) in the AMSAT News Service weekly satellite report.

There's a problem, though. InstantTrack assumes that the high-gain antennas
on the spacecraft are pointing in the +Z direction (that is, away from the
kick motor). However, on AO-40
the antennas are mounted on the kick motor side, and point in the -Z
direction. This means that if you put the regular Bahn coordinates into
InstantTrack, it will get the squint angles
wrong.

To compensate for this problem using InstantTrack 1.50, you can convert the
Bahn coordinates to point in the opposite direction. To convert the Bahn
longitude, add 180. If that number
is 360 or larger, subtract 360. To convert the Bahn latitude, simply negate
it.

For example, recently as I write this (December 8, 2000) the attitude was
reported in the beacon as "267/-3". That's a longitude of 267, and a
latitude of -3. The converted longitude for
InstantTrack is 267 + 180 - 360 = 87, and the converted latitude is +3. So
the attitude should be entered on the Manual Edit Satellite Elements screen
as "3,87". Notice that
InstantTrack wants the latitude first, and a comma between them, whereas the
beacon lists the longitude first and uses a slash between them.

---

This is the same story for WinOrbit, its fairly easy to correct this with a
calculator.  Minor inconvience, thats all..

Fred W0FMS