Re: AO40 U Uplink antenna/power needed

The CP42 is a monster and will get you about 2 dB more than the CP30 (it's
smaller brother).

If you line losses are low, I would use the CP 30 and put the savings toward
a brick amp.

I use a CP-30 with an FT-847. At low squint angles I only need the rig, no
amp at 35 w out. I copy myself beautifully at apogee with just the 847 and
about 2 dB of feeline loss (80' of LMR-400)

At poorer squints, going on the edge of trees (notice I didn't say through),
I have a TE-Systems 100w brick that works just fine.

What I have found is that the amp is only required about 30% of the time,
and even then, I need only about 50w output, not the full 100w. There are
times at apogee that even the 35w from the FT-847 has to be backed off
considerably or I get a "dope slap" from Leila.

I think the M2 antennas are terrific, but the CP-42 was way too big here. It
would have been hard to manage, always in the way, and I have severe doubts
about it's ability to handle our ice storms. I have no such concern about
the M2 CP-30...and the difference in gain is only 2 dB. A 100w brick,
assuming 25w from your exciter:

6 dB improvement

The CP-42 vs CP-30

2 dB improvement.