RE: Shelby Hamfest

In North America, AMSAT-NA is dependent upon volunteers who are willing to
represent AMSAT at hamfests.  While AMSAT is represented at a number of
hamests each year, there are many more that we'd like to have a presence but
there haven't been volunteer(s) to come forward and help out at a particular
hamfest.  While Area Coordinators have often been the ones to volunteer to
work hamfests, any AMSAT-NA member may volunteer to handle a hamfest on
AMSAT's behalf.  The volunteer will need to coordinate with the hamfest
committee regarding booth/table arrangments.  If you're interested in
helping out AMSAT out in this regard for an upcoming hamfest, please contact
AMSAT's Office Manager, Martha (martha@amsat.org/tel. 301-589-6062) or
myself (wd4asw@amsat.org/tel. 904-398-5185)for more information. We need at
least three weeks notification prior to the hamfest in order to get
materials shipped to you.  As Ed (and our other hamfest volunteers) will
attest, handling an AMSAT booth can be alot of fun and helps to bring in $$$
for the organization.  More importantly, it establishes AMSAT on a local
level which will hopefully increase interest in our activities.

This weekend I know that AMSAT will be represented at two hamfests.  AMSAT's
Larry Brown, K7LB and Steve Bible, N7HPR are driving over 9 hours from
Tuscon, AZ to the ARRL SW Convention at Riverside, CA in order to give a
Satellite Workshop that will be conducted Friday.  Over 70 people have
registered for the workshop.  Duane Naugle, KO6BT of San Diego is
coordinating the booth activities.  Meanwhile, Dave Jordan, AA4KN of Orlando
and I (from Jacksonville) will be manning an AMSAT table at the Melbourne
(FL) hamfest on Saturday.

Clearly, our ability to provide some visibility for AMSAT at hamfests is
based upon the willingness of our membership to step forward and help out.
Volunteers are not expected to be experts in all facets of satellite
communications, so don't assume that you must be able to discuss 2.4 GHz
operations (as Richard was hoping to do) if you don't have personal
experience working AO-40.  The key is to maintain a visible presence and
point people in the right direction if the volunteer doesn't have the
answers.

73
Barry A. Baines, WD4ASW
VP-Field Operations