RE: For all you "umbrella geeks" including myself

Maggie said...

> I hope it reflects efficiently; looks like it's intended to *absorb* as
> much as possible.

Yes the Flectron works very well. Dressed a 1.2m brolly dish frame with it
tonight and had a QSO with Steve KB8VAO both of us at just over 20 degree
squint, range 57,000km, modified TSI AIDC3733 d/c. Although the dish surface
is certainly not perfect, aberrations were kept to a minimum and the signals
are pretty good.

It's much harder work to get this stuff attached to the frame though. After
trying my hand at a bit of sewing, in the end it appears the easiest way is
to use staples, inserted both manually (where the stapler won't stable) and
with a stapler.

The brolly closes much better now, but I think you still need to limit the
number of times you open/close it.

It also works very well in the rain I discovered tonight ;-)

Now I worked out I should be able to make over 10dB at 70cm with a 1.2m
dish. Time to make a dual band feed and make portable operation really easy.

73 Howard G6LVB