Re: Help with problems--AGC Timing

Joe,

<gary_mayfield@hotmail.com> writes:
<snip>
> C.  The dreaded AGC.  There are times when I have heard my signal just
> disappear.  A quick check of the telemetry usually shows the AGC has been
> driven up.  There is nothing you can do about this (except turn on the juice
> which is bad practice).

This is great advice!  I find when conditions are particularly rough (like last weekend), I can watch the U-band AGC on the AO40Rcv status page and when I see it take a dip, I can call CQ--sort of opportunistic timing.  The difference it makes in your downlink signal is really significant.  Of course, the downside is when that rare DX station calls me back, he can't hear me next time because the AGC has jumped back up :-)
73,
Jerry, K5OE