Re: Help with problems

Problem #1

Don't worry Jerry, no problem is 'easy' until after it is solved.  This may
sound strange, but I'm betting you have too much gain! and something is
getting overwhelmed along the way.  Try this experiment, if your IC-820 has
an attenuator put it in line.  Then try cranking the RF gain down , and the
AF gain up.  Remember the radio was designed to pick a weak signal out of
even weaker noise,  If you give the radio a lot of noise and moderate signal
it will probably have trouble.

I'm using the TranSystem down converter, and get my best results with about
20dB of attenuation between the down converter and my radio.  Anyway it
won't hurt to try!

Problem #2

After you solve problem number one, number two should be easier to solve.
Here are a couple of thoughts on #2.

A. You need to be really sure you are hearing your self through the bird and
not a spur of some kind from the radio, this will be easier after #1 is
solved.

B.  Doppler is considerable on S-Band (especially during certain parts of
the orbit).  Your 'track' function will compensate for tuning up and down
the band, but it will not compensate for Doppler.  For example:  Let's say
I'm a good operator and I tune up out of the way near the top of the band.
I discover that transmitting on 435.570 puts my downlink on 2401.455 (The
actual numbers are not important).  My radio shows this as Up on 435.570 and
down on 145.455.   I punch the 'Track' button and make sure the tracking is
for an inverting transponder.  Yaesu calls this reverse tracking, I don't
know what Icom calls it.  I start tuning down the band and hear a nice CQ at
2401.375 (the radio says 145.375) if I haven't changed anything else my
radio will transmit on 435.650 MHz.  Depending on how long it has been since
I "found myself" at the top of the band I may or my not hear myself answer,
but normally you will need to tweak your transmit frequency to hear yourself
answer the CQ.  This is okay!

C.  The dreaded AGC.  There are times when I have heard my signal just
disappear.  A quick check of the telemetry usually shows the AGC has been
driven up.  There is nothing you can do about this (except turn on the juice
which is bad practice).

Conclusions:  If possible get in touch with some of your locals.  I am sure
there are several active stations in the metroplex who would like to drop by
for an eyeball and help (I understand the desire to do it on your own, but
help is better than towel throwing)

Email me when you want to confirm South Dakota on AO-40 (or any other of the
analog birds for that matter).

I hope I helped.

73,
Joe