Re: Looking for AO-40

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Bourne" <dave@pioneerdigital.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 6:15 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Looking for AO-40

> I received my 3733 downconverter from K5GNA (with all mods) on Saturday
and
> have not been successful in hearing AO-40. I tried using my Conifer dish
on
> Saturday Evening using the Conifer feed and nothing. On Sunday Evening I
> tried again using a 36" offset feed DBS type dish along the 3733 "dipole"
> feed and again nothing. I have a Spectrum Analyzer (HP 8558) and I see
> nothing when tuned to 144 Mhz looking at the output of the downconverter
> through the power divider. When I pan my antenna towards LA (I live in
> Southern CA) and tune up in frequency on the Analyzer I can see some
> "Wireless Cable" digital carriers coming through the downconverter. If I
> disconnect the downconverter from the analyzer the noise floor drops about
8
> to 10 db so I believe that the downconverter is working. I use Nova
tracking
> software and it seems to work OK so I believe that I'm pointed in the
right
> direction at the right time with my antenna.
>
> 1. What type of modulation is used on the Beacon.? Should I see anything
on
> the Analyzer ?

Listen with SSB.  I don't know for sure, but I bet the analyzer's noise
floor is not low enough to see the AO-40 beacon.

> 2. On what frequency should I see the Beacon on (after downconversion) ?
Is
> it something like 144.350 ?

The beacon should be around 145.323 +/- 100 KHz.  I believe Bob is setting
them up so 2400 MHz in comes out at 144 MHz.  S1 is dead, S2 is in the 2401
MHz range.

73,
Joe
ka0yos@amsat.org