Re: For all you "umbrella geeks" including myself

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 16:00, Pieter Ibelings wrote:

> It is a very flexible nylon cloth coated with copper and nickel.
> It is tarnish resistant and very very conductive. The name is
> Flectron. The conductivity is less than 0.1 ohms per square. The
> means that a square piece no matter how big will be 0.1 ohms from one
> end to the other.

Hey! Let's make a nationwide power grid out of it! :-)

I'm having trouble making my head beleive this specification. Is it
possible that the manufacturer only has a Radio Shack ohmmeter?
Apparently this is ASTM Test Method F390-98 that's intended for doing
acceptance testing on metallic films deposited on insulating
substrates. I wonder if it's really approprate measure to use with this
material.

Sounds like useful stuff nonetheless. It's taffeta...suitable for
curtains and prom dresses. But the primary use seems to be for
EMI/Tempest shielding; keeping embarassing QRM out of the wireless
mikes in a theater, for example. It's evidently frequently applied
almost like wallpaper.

The "Black Helicopters" crowd probably makes hats out of it to keep NSA
from reading their thoughts, too. :-)

I hope it reflects efficiently; looks like it's intended to *absorb* as
much as possible.

73 de Maggie K3XS