Re: Shelby Hamfest

>From: "Richard Sturgis" <r.sturgis@worldnet.att.net>
>Hi,
>
>I am gathering parts to assemble a 2.4G receive station to attempt
>communications on AO-40.  I ordered a downconverter a few weeks ago and have
>been studying  informationposted on the BB on antennas for this band.
>
>This past Saturday I attended the Shelby, NC hamfest which is one of the
>largest in our part (southeast) of the country.
>
>I was surprised and disappointed not to find an AMSAT presence at this large
>gathering of hams.  I had hoped to ask questions and talk to others about
>2.4Gig.
>
>I asked some of the sponsering club members and they did not know of any
>AMSAT representatives nor did I find a booth at the fest.
>
>Am planning to attend the symposium in Atlanta in early October and hope to
>see examples of equipment used for the downlink at that time.
>
>Thanks for all the info on the BB,
>
>Richard, KR4XN

Well that's a shame.  I know that many hamfests host an Amsat booth and
bigger ones even have Amsat sessions.  I have hosted a booth for the last
3-4 years {lost count} and it has always generated interest, as well as,
new members.  But it is up to the local Amsat Area Coordinators and the
hamfest sponsors to do it.  There are an awful lot of hamfests in the
lower-48, so maybe they couldn't do it at this time.

The Anchorage Hamfest is this Sept. 15th [doors open at 10 am] followed by
the Fairbanks Hamfest Sept. 16th [350 miles north].  As usual, I will be at
the Anchorage one {I live 180 road-miles south} {Martha: the supplies
arrived fine, thanks}.  This is likely the only Alaska Hamfest that Amsat
will be present, so I feel a certain responsibility to be there.  AO-40 is
sure to be hot topic!  I will set up a small dish with preamp-Drake-etc. as
a display...no pass during the open hours of the hamfest, so no live demo
station.  As usual, WL7BD and maybe KK5YY will be on hand for FM-Leo demos.

Hopefully, some Equipment vendors will be present at the Symposium; also
maybe someone will do a live AO-40 demo?  Any of you southeast "patio"
stations game for this?  {no room in my suitcase for one}

See Ya At Symposium,
Ed