From: Ken Dailey [mailto:kend@cinesite.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 11:14 AM
To: gjmouse@neo.rr.com
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] 1.2G Mast mounted amps

Hi Gunther,

Gunther Meisse wrote:

> Dave, I am housing all my bricks at the tower/antenna. I am using a home
> brew 25 turn Helix on 1.2Ghz with an Icom 910H in the shack 130 feet of
line
> and a 1watt < 40 watt brick at the tower. See:
> www.wmfd.com/w8gsm
> Good luck,
> Gunther Meisse
> W8GSM

I've just had a good look at your website (very nice antenna install!!), but
have two questions:

1) What is your cross boom made of and where did you get it from?   In the
UK it
is nigh on impossible to get thick-walled fibre glass tubing.  I see you
have
quite a weight of antennas on the cross-boom, but it doesn't appear to be
sagging?

2) I'm also in the process of looking for a power amplifier for 1.2GHz, and
see
you mentioned:

"A couple of items: I built the 25 turn Helix and would look for about
16.75db
gain. I will drive with an Icom 910H through 130' of line which gives me 2
watts
at the Dog-House. I'll run that through a 3db/5watt pad to get me to the max
input of 1 watt to the PA23-50 brick. The original rating on the brick was
50
WTPO, however they have derated it and now say 40 WTPO. (They will likely
rename
it the PA23-40) That equals about 1300 Watts ERP, RHCP. Yes, I am getting it
through SSB America and I think it was about 450-475.00. I don't have the
price
here with me so I am just guessing."

I've looked on the SSB web site, but they show the PA23-50 as listing at
$1595.00 (gulp!), but you mention "450-475.00" - which ones right?

Thanks for the posting - I'm always looking for good ideas! (:-)

73's

Ken, G0RVH

--
Ken Dailey - Cinesite Visual Effects - kend@cinesite.co.uk
p +44 (0)20 7973 4000       --       f +44 (0)20 7973 4312