Re: Mars? Why not P3x in moon orbit...?

Hello Bob.

Excellent comments.  As I was typing the post I was thinking about  the
various examples that try and define a "slippery" slope between what should
and shouldnt be on amateur frequences or refered to as an Amateur payload.

I agree that someone who is flying "their" RC airplane shouldnt have to
allow everyone access to it...but say for instance that a University
deciedes to do its own version of Global Hawk.  Say some sort of RC research
airplane  and to keep cost down they do it on the "ham freqs".

Its not a satellite but it strikes me that this would be something that had
less to do with amateur radio then research.  NOW one could quickly see
somethings that might tip the scales. Say for instance that to do this
someone else at the university develops a modulation scheme or say an
equivelent to one of the new digital encoding schemes that is then put out
for amateur use.  I think that PANSAT is an excellent example of something
that was in all respects an amateur radio effort.

OK its not that widely used (grin) and as something that excited the ham
community it was less then successful BUT the "new technology" scheme was I
think clear.

Its a tough call in all respects and I certianly dont imply the capability
to be the arbitrar of what is and isnt.  Of course sometimes simple can be
intriguing.  Remember RS-40?  For the high school crowd that was "radio
inclined" that bird and some of the interesting information that could be
gleaned from it was pretty exciting.

The oldest set of nieces cut their scientific/technical teeth on analyzing
the "data" from that bird.  I'd like to see a Vanguard 40...

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX

PS...good luck in Alaska.