Re: Umbrella dish antenna

Hi Maggie.

maggie@voicenet.com writes:
> Oh, well-done, Howard! I'm working on a design for a small stressed
>  parabolic dish inspired as a scaled-down version of the K2RIW design
>  (ARRL Antenna Book, 18th edition, ch 19).

That really is a fine piece of work.  After meeting Howard in
Houston/London/Guilford, I'm still undecided if he is a genius or just plain
crazy :-)  Not only does he get an A for effort, you can actually talk to him
on AO-40 on his projects!

>  I'm contemplating what's basically a variation on my mutant K5OE helix
>  for the feedpoint (Drake mounted to PVC pipe, feeding through a
>  reflector (likely will put a can around this one). Then a-ways down the

Here is a picture of an easy-to-build and match helix feed, any length.  I
make no claims for circularity, but it is easy to set up and get working
without any measurement tools.  Leave the 1st 1/4 turn flat against the
bottom of your cup.
http://members.aol.com/k5oe/feed_45a.jpg

This feed is designed for no PVC pipe core.  If you plan to use PVC pipe to
wrap the feed around, then use the smaller dimensions corresponding to 1" PVC
(about 1.375") on your original helix.  I have been unable to get a 1-1/4"
PVC core (about 1.55" dia) to work properly as it severely de-tunes the
helix.  The smaller-than-you-would-design diameter around the 1" PVC core
seems to counteract the malevolent effect.

>  We'll see if I can make that go. I've been itching for a way to improve
>  my S-band RX without actually spending money.

... ahhh!  The search for the holy grail.
73,
Jerry, K5OE