Re: Mars? Why not P3x in moon orbit...?

William.

Well to toss in my two cents worth...

I think that any discussion of any AMSAT class probe to anywhere that the
"light times" are measured in minutes is on the face of creating a
communications package alone quite silly.  My take on life is that the
"range" of a viable communications package is going to be probably the
LaGrange points and thats just based on the "time delay".  now signal
strength of course is another consideration.  We have left simple sat here
and are into something like "large" directional antennas OR making the
difference up on the ground.

Now as an aside I would note that a lunar orbiter or a lunar surface package
that makes "Oscar Zero" a reliable communications mode to "modest" (read
smallish EME stations) stations might be a worthwhile goal.

However the other thing that frankly kills a lunar orbiter or a L1 stand
alone amateur package (not to mention a Mars one) is the need for mastery of
skills which the satellite community has not come close to demostrating and
thats primarily propulsion.  Both the L and lunar orbiter are heavy orbit
maintenance places.  We almost lost 40 to propulsion efforts which to be
kind were "incomplete success".

I think that its silly to try and develop that expertise or spend the money
on such systems.

Now what might a Mars 'amateur' probe be "useful" for?  It might be neat
just from a "complete" science package BUT if you think that lunar or
Libration point comm is "antenna" intensive...Well take a look at what it
takes to get a signal back from mars.

We will see the first lunar repeater/transponder at some point.  One day
when we have a decent space program America will return to the Moon.  Thats
a few years in the offing.

Robert

WB5MZO Houston TX