Re: G-5400B Elevation Rotor, Part II

K5OE@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks to all who offered advice and help on my blown transformer.  I was
> able to source a replacement and have it installed.  The azimuth works fine
> now, but the elevation appears dead.
>
> It is at zero degrees right now.  When UP is selected, the 26 Vac makes it to
> the rotor terminals, but nothing happens.  When the DN is selected, I can
> feel the motor "hum" even though it is apparently at the DN limit switch
> stop.  The schematic shows the UP limit switch as the only thing in the
> circuit other than the motor, and since it seems to "hum" with the DN
> pressed, I am suspicious the UP limit switch is somehow is stuck open.
> Anyone see this before?  Any ideas?   5 hours to AO-40 AOS here!
> 73,
> Jerry, K5OE

Hi Jerry:

Sounds familiar.....Several hyears ago, the 100mfd electrolytic lost capacity and
had that sort of sympton.  The 5600 has the capacitors in the rotors, the 5400
has one in the display unit nil in the rotors..  FWIW.  Good .luck...and the
capacitors are available at your nearest appliance dealer.